- Before Registering
- How To Schedule Your Exam
- What to Bring on Examination Day
- How Much Does It Cost to Take the New York Real Estate Exam?
- Where Do You Take the New York Real Estate Exam?
- What Is on the New York Real Estate Exam?
- How Hard Is the New York Real Estate Exam?
- New York Real Estate Exam Practice Questions
- What Should You Expect on the Day of Your Test?
- Your Test Results
- What To Do After You Complete Your Exam
- Important Points of Contact
The journey to acquiring your New York real estate license is both exciting and challenging. We understand that preparing for the New York Real Estate Exam can be incredibly stressful. The exam is the final barrier between a hopeful real estate professional and their dream job.
With an average real estate salary averaging $93,100 in New York, it is no wonder why real estate has become such a popular career choice.
Learn more about how to get a real estate license in New York.
This post provides all the information needed to understand the New York Real Estate Salesperson Exam better. This article contains essential study materials and our most frequently asked questions, including:
Before Registering for the Exam
Before a candidate can register to take their New York Real Estate Exam, they must complete 75 hours of pre-licensing education. This course covers all the topics required to become a licensed real estate salesperson. Topics include license law, law of agency, regulations, and real estate finance.
After you finish your New York real estate pre-license course, you need to pass a course final exam by scoring at least a 70%.
How Do You Schedule Your Exam?
Candidates register for the exam online by following the steps through eAccessNY. This portal allows candidates to schedule their exams, view their scheduled exams, and access their exam results.
Candidates with disabilities who require accessibility information should call 518-474-4429.
Before scheduling an exam, candidates who require testing modifications should call 518-474-4429.
What to Bring on Examination Day
On exam day, candidates must bring a form of government-issued signature identification. This ID must have a photo of the candidate and be current. Here is a list of accepted I.D.s.
- Driver's license
- State-issued identification (ex. non-driver ID)
- IDNYC Card (NYC Identification Card)
- Military ID
- United States Passport
- Employment Authorization Card (issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services)
- United States INS issued I.D.
- Certificate of U.S. citizenship
- Foreign Passport
- Brazilian, Mexican, Honduran, and Ecuadorian Consular ID
Candidates must also bring a printed "summary of submission" provided to the candidate by eAccessNY when an exam is scheduled. This document includes the exam information and the candidate number.
Calculators are permitted so long as they are solar-powered, silent, nonprinting, and have no alphabetic keyboard.
What Is NOT Allowed on Examination Day
- Reference materials
- Cell phones or other electronic devices
- Food or drinks
- Visitors or guests
Where Do You Take the New York Real Estate Exam?
Students must take their salesperson exams at a designated testing center. The list of test locations is below.
Albany (Alfred E. Smith State Office Building)80 South Swan Street
Albany, New York 12239
Located at the corner of Washington Avenue and South Swan Street
Binghamton (State Office Building)44 Hawley Street, 15th Floor
Binghamton, NY 13901
Buffalo (State Office Building)65 Court Street
Main Floor Hearing Room, Part 5
Buffalo, NY 14202
Franklin Square (VFW Hall)68 Lincoln Road, Basement
Franklin Square, NY 11010
Hauppauge (Perry Duryea State Office Building)Basement Conference Room
250 Veterans Memorial Highway
Hauppauge, NY 11788
New York City123 William Street, 2nd Floor
New York, NY 10038
PlattsburghClinton Community College – George Moore Building/Main Building
136 Clinton Point Drive, Room 105M
Plattsburgh, NY 12901
Pomona (Rockland Country Fire Training Center)35 Firemen's Memorial Drive
Pomona, NY 10970
Rochester (Finger Lakes DDSO)620 Westfall Road
Rochester, NY 14620
Syracuse (State Office Building)333 E Washington St
Syracuse, NY 13202
Utica (State Office Building)207 Genesee Street 1st Floor, Room 107
Utica, NY 13501
How Much Does It Cost to Take the New York Real Estate Exam?
The candidate must pay a $15 fee for a salesperson examination fee. If scheduling your appointment online, you must pay the total amount via credit card when scheduling the exam.
You can take the New York salesperson exam as many times as you need to pass. Each attempt costs $15.
What Is on the New York Real Estate Exam?
The New York Real Estate Salesperson Examination consists of 75 total questions. To pass, you need to answer 70% of the questions correctly.
- State License Law and Regulations
- Law of Agency
- Legal Issues
- Land Use
- Construction and Environmental Issues
- Fair Housing
- Insurance and Taxes
- Condominiums and Cooperatives
- Commercial and Investment Properties
- Property Management
How Hard Is the New York Real Estate Exam?
The exam can be challenging, but it is not something that should intimidate students. We created a New York real estate exam prep course to help students pass their first time!
New York Real Estate Exam Practice Questions
- An agency relationship is determined by ______
- the source of compensation
- agreement between the seller and buyer
- agreement between the principal and the agent *
- first substantive contact
- An automatic renewal clause in a lease is ______
- is not allowed on rent-stabilized apartments
- is granted to all tenants in a building with four or more units
- is illegal in New York State
- requires notice from the landlord calling the tenants attention to the clause*
- When listing a property, an agent’s best chances of earning a commission if the listing is a ______
- exclusive-right-to-sell listing*
- for sale by owner
- exclusive-agency listing
- open listing
- Real Property Law section 443 disclosure requirements apply only to _______
- sale or lease of one to four-unit residential properties*
- every real estate transaction
- properties financed with a mortgage
- commercial properties
- A broker owes a customer which of the following _________
- fairness and honesty *
What Should You Expect on the Day of Your Test?
On the exam day, candidates should report to the test center thirty (30) minutes before the examination and check in with the test center administrator. The candidate is required to show their state-issued identification and their "summary of submission."
Candidates take their exams on a computer at the test center. You do not need computer experience or typing skills to take your exam. Applicants have 90 minutes to answer 75 questions. They must pass with at least a 70%.
Don't forget these calculations!
These calculations are not available at the test center and should be memorized.
Candidates may use the following information in making mathematical calculations on the real estate examinations unless otherwise stated in the text of the question:
- 43,560 square feet/acre
- 5,280 feet/mile
- Round off calculations (where applicable)
How to Pass Your Exam
At VanEd Real Estate School, we make passing your exam simple with our New York Real Estate Exam Prep Course Program, which contains a full review of your pre-license courses and various practice questions that you will find on the exam.
Your Test Results
A candidate receives a pass or fail. They are not able to view the questions they got wrong or know their final score. Candidates view their scores through eAccessNY. The exam results are updated as soon as possible following exam completion.
Passed exams are valid for a period of two years. Within that two years, candidates must find a sponsoring broker and apply for their license.
What To Do After You Complete Your Exam
Finally, you will need to apply for a license with the New York Department of State (DOS). The application fee is $55. You may mail in your application or apply online. Additionally, if you plan on paying by credit card with Master Card or Visa, you must complete a credit card authorization form that will need to be submitted with your application.Bureau of Educational Standards
P.O. Box 22001
Albany, NY 12201-2001
Important Points of Contact
Mailing InformationNYS Department of State
Division of Licensing Services
P.O. Box 22001
Albany NY 12201-2001 Albany Physical Address
Division of Licensing Services
1 Commerce Plaza
99 Washington Avenue, 6th Floor
Albany, NY 12231
General Information: (518) 474-4429
Call Center Representatives are available from 8:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday except on Legal Holidays.
Deaf, hard of hearing, and speech-disabled callers, please use 7-1-1
For all other inquiries, email Licensing Services
Written and Published by: VanEd