Texas Real Estate School Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Some of our most frequently asked questions are answered below:

Texas Real Estate Licensing

Learn about the process of obtaining your Texas real estate license.

How long does it take to get a real estate license in Texas?

The entire process from taking the required education to obtaining your license takes anywhere from 3 to 5 months. All students have one year of coursework activation.

How do I get a Texas real estate license?

  1. Enroll in VanEd's 180-hour TREC Required Pre-license Package.

  2. File your application on TREC's site – your application must be approved prior to you being allowed to site for the state licensing exam.

  3. Get your Fingerprints taken and pass your background check (your fingerprints must be on file with the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) so a background check can be performed.

  4. Pass VanEd's Final Exams (Six courses total for the entire 180hr Package).

  5. Pass VanEd's Exam Prep (included in your 180-hour TREC Required Pre-license Package).

  6. Upon passing licensing exam and receiving your background check results, finish applying for your license through the Texas Real Estate Commission's (TREC) website.

How to Get a Texas Real Estate License

Texas Real Estate License State Exam

Learn about the required state exam to obtain a real estate license in Texas.

What if I fail the Final Exam for one or more of the six required courses?

Per TREC regulations, students may take the Final Exam twice before they are required to restart the entire course (some schools/providers require that a fee be paid – VanEd does not require this). There is a wait period of three (3) days after the first Final Exam is failed, in which the student is expected to study and review their coursework.

What if I fail the Texas real estate exam?

You may retake the Texas real estate exam again (there is a fee involved). If you fail the exam three times, additional education will be necessary.

Where are the Texas real estate exam locations?

There are several exam locations throughout Texas; check with PearsonVue for the most up-to-date list of locations.

What is the governing body for Texas real estate?

The Texas Real Estate Commission (TREC) is the governing body for Texas Real Estate licensing and continuing education.

How much does it cost to get a real estate license in Texas?

Fees Cost
180-Hour Pre-License Courses $350.00 - $1,000.00
Education Evaluation Form $30.00
State Exam Fee $61.00
Texas Real Estate License Application Fee $143.00
Background Check $31.50
Finger-Printing (estimated) $42.00
Recovery Trust Fund $10.00
Total (varies based on price of qualifying education) $667.00 - $1,317.00

Our Online Course Delivery

How to get help with computer questions and other technical support

I have questions about my course. Who can help me?

New or potential students with questions regarding how to get started (either in obtaining your license and/or starting your continuing education (once licensed), please contact our office at 800-455-8348 (locally at 303-245-0258) or via email at info@vaned.com.

Currently enrolled students with administrative questions (tracking materials, requesting a transfer, general technical support, finding a certificate, etc.) please contact our Customer Support team Monday - Friday 8:30 - 5pm MST at 800-455-8348 or email info@vaned.com. Emails will be responded to promptly but typically within 24 hours or one business day.

For questions pertaining to specific coursework, course content, or curriculum, please email our instructors here at instructor@vaned.com or post the question directly within the Q&As inside each individual course.

What are the system requirements for your online courses?

We make every attempt to make our websites and products tablet and mobile-friendly; however, not all features within all of our courses are compatible with all tablets and phones.

  • Both Windows and Mac-based desktops or laptops are compatible.
  • We recommend the use of Windows 7-10 or macOS 10.9 or later operating systems.
  • We recommend the use of current Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. Internet Explorer
  • We recommend online learners have at least a 2MB connection.

How long do I have to complete my real estate courses?

All Texas students have one year of activation from the date they initially purchase their coursework. Your individual Enrollment Agreement and Course Catalog (with reactivation policies) are located within your student account. To view our General Online Course Catalog, click here. (Activation length of time varies by state, please check your individual state FAQ page and/or Course Catalog).

What is your return policy?

Please see our Pre-license Course Catalog and Continuing Education Course Catalog for our General Return Policies. Each state may have slightly different regulations - if you are a current student, a copy of your individual Enrollment Agreement and Course Catalog can be found inside your student account.

Is your school approved and accredited?

Yes! VanEd - Texas Real Estate School is approved for Real Estate Pre-licensing (#575), Post-licensing (SAE) and Continuing Education (#0235) and Appraisal Pre-licensing by the state's governing body (in this case, TREC).

Reciprocity & Real Estate Continuing Education

Questions about being licensed in other states and maintaining/renewing your real estate license in Texas.

Can I use my current state license to get license in another state?

Each state has different regulations surrounding reciprocity. VanEd encourages licensees who are licensed in another state and want to obtain their Texas Real Estate License to contact the real estate commission ( 512-936-3000 or info@trec.texas.gov). If you already have your Texas license and wish to obtain dual licensure in another state, please contact the respective state to inquire about their rules of reciprocity.

I already have a real estate license from another state – do I have to take the ENTIRE 180hr Online course?

We encourage all licensed agents to contact the Texas real estate Commission to confirm what reciprocal requirements there are for the state in which you wish to obtain additional licensure. The Texas Real Estate Commission can be reached at 512-936-3000 or info@trec.texas.gov). Only TREC can confirm any potential reciprocity.

I'm already licensed – how much Continuing Education do I need?

Per state regulation, all licensees are required to take 98 total hours of continuing education during their FIRST license renewal cycle (first two years). This consists of three 30hr SAE courses and the Legal Updates I & II (each 4 credits). All 98 hours must be completed and reported to TREC (30-hour SAE courses by the licensee; Legal Updates by the Provider) prior to being able to renew your license.

If you have been licensed for more than 2 years (not in your first renewal cycle), then TREC requires you to take 18 hours of Continuing Education Credits, consisting of 10 elective credits and both the Legal I & Legal II Update courses (4 credits each). These must be complete within the 2 year license cycle.

Brokers are required to take 18 hours of Continuing Education, but only 4 elective credits, both Legal I & II Update courses, and the 6 hour Broker Responsibility course.

If you belong to a Real Estate Association, you're required to take an Ethics course (minimum 2.5 hours, but most are between 3 and 6 hours) every other year. This typically counts towards your electives with The Commission, but make sure your class has dual CE credit beforehand.

Proctor Requirements

Questions about Texas's exam proctoring requirement.

What is TREC'S 'Proctor Requirement'?

TREC requires that all Final Exams for Pre-license coursework and SAE (Post-license) coursework be proctored, or monitored by a non-related person. Every provider must seek approval individually, and VanEd's proctor method is one of the easiest and most flexible.

There are two options when selecting a proctor:

  1. Pre-approved Proctor (Notary Public (there may be a fee to use a Notary), Librarian, or member of the Clergy;

  2. Any non-relative (friend, co-worker, boss, roommate, etc.) may obtain approval by filling out the Proctor Approval form (available inside your student account) and sending a signed copy of that into VanEd with a copy of a valid government form of I.D. (sent to proctor@vaned.com).

* Please note that you may not take the Final until the Provider (VanEd) has approved your Proctor.

All proctors must be present when you take the Final Exam for each of the six courses in Pre-License and any SAE course. A signed Proctor and Student Affidavit (available inside your student account) must be filled out and sent to VanEd after you've passed the Final Exam.

Once the Affidavits have been approved, your Certificate of Completion will be released.

VanEd DOES NOT require you to go to a Proctor Center – you may choose to, but often there is a fee associated with this. VanEd has received approval for the format of Proctors where you don't need to seek out a Proctor center or pay anything additional.