Nebraska Real Estate License Renewal Basics
Nebraska real estate Licensees are required to complete 18 clock hours of real estate continuing education every two years in order to renew a real estate license. 12 hours must be in continuing education activities approved by the Nebraska Real Estate Commission, of which 6 hours must be in designated subject matter.
Property Managers and those licensees working in teams have additional CE requirements.
Property Managers must complete an additional three hours of CE coursework which shall be required in each two year period in a property management course or courses approved and designated by the Commission as meeting this requirement for all licensees who provide property management services during such two year period, or who supervise a licensee or licensees who provide property management services during such two year period.
All team members, team leaders, and designated brokers who supervise teams are required to complete three hours of CE coursework on teams or team leadership which are approved and so designated by the Commission for all team members, team leaders, and designated brokers who supervise teams. Courses must be completed within 180 days after being designated a team member or team leader or designated broker supervising a team or teams.
Team training must be completed at least once every four years.
Designated subject matter courses are indicated with the letter "R" in the four-digit course content number that is assigned to the course.<
Important Note on Renewals
- Active Nebraska licensees (salesperson & broker) must apply and pay the fee to renew their license with the NREC every year by November 30th. In addition, fulfillment of Continuing Education requirements above are due every two years, by November 30th, of that second year.
- For first time licensees: Fulfillment of Continuing Education requirements are due by November 30th of the first year you are licensed. (So for example, regardless of whether your license was issued on January 1st or September 30th, you would still need to complete the 18 required CE hours by November 30th of that same year to remain compliant.) Your Continuing Education requirements would need to be fulfilled every two years for every subsequent renewal.
Real estate continuing education credit will not be granted when activities or content is duplicated within 4 years. However, "R" courses are an exception to this rule and may be duplicated in subsequent continuing education periods but NOT in the same continuing education period. The course content number is used to determine duplication of content between courses.
Finding More Information
The Nebraska Real Estate Commission (NREC) sets the regulations for real estate licensing renewal
- Full Details on License Renewal >
- Meeting the Designated Subject Matter Requirement >
- check your continuing education history >
Broker - Approved Training Requirements
Nebraska real estate licensees who wish to maintain active licenses will need to complete 18 hours of education. Licensees may take up to 6 hours of Broker-Approved Training toward the 18 hour requirement every two years. VanEd offers online real estate continuing education courses and classes that may meet the Broker-Approved Training requirements. Verify the courses and outlines with your broker before registration.
You may substitute Continuing Education activities for all or part of the 6 hours allowed for Broker-Approved Training. [Please note: while continuing education activities will meet the Broker-Approved Training requirement the reverse is NOT true; Broker-Approved Training will NOT meet the real estate continuing education requirement.]
Duplication of Broker-approved Training Activities
Duplication of Broker-Approved Training activities is not prohibited but is subject to designated broker approval.